Afrobeats, also known as afro-pop or Afropop is a genre of music that originated in West Africa. And it has rapidly gained popularity around the world through exceptional Afrobeats collaborations in the last decade. The genre is known for its fusion of African rhythms, traditional music, and contemporary styles.
Afrobeats has undoubtedly become a cultural phenomenon, with some of its biggest stars like Burna Boy, Wizkid, and Davido gaining international recognition and acclaim. However, one of the factors that have contributed to the success of Afrobeats is its collaboration with international artists.
Here are some of the best Afrobeats collaborations of the last decade.
- “Number One Remix” by Diamond Platnumz ft. Davido – Diamond Platnumz also Nasibu Abdul Juma Issack, the Tanzanian superstar, teamed up with Nigerian singer, Davido to create the hit song “Number One Remix”. The song topped the charts in Nigeria, and Africa as a whole. It is one of the best afrobeats collaborations in the last decade.
- “Come Closer” by Wizkid ft. Drake – Wizkid, another Nigerian superstar, collaborated with Canadian rapper, Drake, to create the smash hit “Come Closer.” The song incorporated elements of Afrobeats, rap, and dancehall. It became a global hit and helped to solidify Wizkid’s status as one of the biggest names in Afrobeats. It deserves to be on this list.
- “Killin Dem” by Burna Boy ft. Zlatan – Burna Boy and Zlatan are Nigerian artists, who teamed up to create “Killin Dem”. The song became an instant hit, and its catchy beat and lyrics made it one of the most popular Afrobeats songs of the last decade. You can find the song on Burna Boy’s African Giant album.
- “Blow My Mind” by Davido ft. Chris Brown – Davido and Chris Brown teamed up once again for the hit song “Blow My Mind”. The song features Davido’s signature Afrobeats sound blended with Chris Brown’s R&B style. “Blow My Mind” was a massive success and further cemented Davido’s status as one of Africa’s most significant music artists.
- “One Dance” by Drake ft. Wizkid and Kyla – “One Dance” was one of the biggest hits of 2016, featuring Drake, Wizkid, and Kyla. The song incorporated elements of Afrobeats, dancehall, and R&B, and became an international sensation, topping charts in several countries. Furthermore, it is the only afrobeats song to have achieved diamond status in the US, having sold over 10 million units.
- “Particula” by Major Lazer ft. Nasty C, Ice Prince, Patoranking, Jidenna, and DJ Maphorisa -“Particula” is a song by American electronic dance music trio Major Lazer, featuring African artists Nasty C, Ice Prince, Patoranking, Jidenna, and DJ Maphorisa. The song fuses Afrobeats with EDM, resulting in a vibrant and energetic sound that captures the essence of both genres.
- “Energy” by Skepta ft. Wizkid – Skepta, a British rapper, teamed up with Wizkid for the song “Energy”. The song has a smooth and laidback vibe, and it showcases Wizkid’s unique vocal style. “Energy” was a hit in the UK and helped to further popularize Afrobeats in Europe.
- “Calm Down Remix” by Rema ft. Selena Gomez – “Calm Down Remix” by Rema ft. Selena Gomez is a captivating track that has been well-received by fans of both artists. The remix of the original song, which was released by Rema in 2022, features Selena Gomez adding her vocals to the track, adding a new dimension to the already popular song. The song has seen more success on the US Billboard through Selena’s influence.
- “Essence Remix” by Wizkid ft. Tems, and Justin Bieber – The original version of “Essence” was released in 2020 as part of Wizkid’s fourth studio album, Made In Lagos. The song quickly became a hit, with its catchy melody and laid-back vibe resonating with audiences across the globe. The remix takes the original song to new heights, with Justin Bieber adding his vocals to the mix and bringing a fresh perspective to the track.
- “Love Nwantiti (ah ah ah) Remix” by Ckay ft. Joeboy, Kuami Eugene – Nigerian singer and songwriter Ckay, also known as Chukwuka Ekweani first released this song’s original version in 2019. In 2020, Ckay teamed up with some of Africa’s biggest music stars to release a remix of “Love Nwantiti” that took the song to new heights. The remix features Joeboy, an up-and-coming Nigerian singer, and Kuami Eugene, a Ghanaian superstar. The three artists come together to create a truly magical rendition of the song, with each bringing their unique style and flair to the track.
Drawing the curtain, Afrobeats collaborations with international artists have played a significant role in the genre’s global success. These collaborations have helped to introduce Afrobeats to new audiences around the world, and they have also helped to elevate African music and culture to a more prominent position in the global music industry. The collaborations listed above are just a few examples of the many successful Afrobeats collaborations of the last decade. It is important to note that the best afrobeats artists from Nigeria are somehow at the forefront of these collaborations in Africa and the world at large. Feel free to add the ones you think we left out in the comment section.